NYSC Lagos Brigade Band | Tuke's Quest

NYSC Lagos Brigade Band

Good Morning Folks!!

It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday, who remembers this Rebecca Black Song?

I love Fridays and today is extra special because an article I wrote got published on my favourite website, Bella Naija. The comments so far have been 'interesting', we'll see how things go as the day unfolds.

This post is dedicated to my NYSC Brigade Band members. Our time is almost up, like I mentioned here and I have absolutely loved being a part of this Special Community Development Service group. My love for music and the saxophone has grown even stronger and I've learnt a lot hanging around every single one of my Band Members.

From making sure I was on the parade ground at 4:30 am to play the national and NYSC anthem to practising from 4pm to 7pm in camp everyday, discipline is necessary.

Remember how I said I wanted to put the NYSC band on the map in my goal audit post, this video shows a little bit of what we do. It is a video of the NYSC Lagos Brigade Band at the Closing ceremony of the Nigerian Special Olympics which held at unilag sports ground on the 13th of August 2014. We started with slow march and then proceeded to play sequence 1-6.




Lagos corper no dey carry last especially band members

#Band Corporation
#Gbam


































Samic, the guy you call to charge your phone











These pictures haven't been edited in any way, the duller ones were taking with my kit lens while the brighter ones with depth of field were taken with my 50mm prime lens on a Nikon D3100 body. The pictures were taken at Unilag, NYSC Secretariat Surulere and Lagos Campground, Iyana-Ipaja.

Oh yeah, if anyone is interested in music, especially in learning how to sight read, there is a conference at Muson Centre this weekend with top of the art musicians facilitating the event.



Share

18 comments:

  1. Great article, Thanks for sharing.

    www.adezeezee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so apparent here that you enjoyed NYSC I hated every bit of it and just went thru that one year in a Zeke state!! I was the happiest gal in the universe when I got my certificate. Well done on this Adetuke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes oo, I'm enjoying it still. It isn't over yet :) Eyah, I've never heard of the word Zeke before but Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...i thought you were done. Well, have fun!!!
    Oh dear....im a serious zombie freak and always look out for new names. Then i watched world war z and the name zeke stuck. Perfect name for zombies!!!! Pls dont say you havent seen it Tuke.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loool, not yet but soon done! I haven't watched it o, you know not a movie buff like that na 😊

      Delete
  5. nice work morgan

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol..sorry for that am toby LA/12B/1267...played on d tenor drum

    ReplyDelete
  7. i envy u-i wish i cud play an instrument. i love music so much. but alas, i can't even whistle to save my life. anywayz, and dis is silly old fola talking, do u ever worry that u wud get fat cheeks? i mean, ive heard that people who play wind instruments grow fat cheeks because of the blowing lol. is it true though? (don't laugh o)
    www.folasoasis.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, it's never too late to learn though.
      LOL, I've never heard this fat cheeks story before o, I dunno how true it is either.
      I think my cheeks are normal size sha and Pastor Kunle Ajayi doesn't have big cheeks.
      All I know is that many people who have been playing the trumpet for a long time have pink lips especially on the middle because it kinda peels off.

      Delete
  8. Hi there! Quick question from a PCM. Do you bring your own instrument to camp or are they all provided? I play the sax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Temi, there are instruments which NYSC own, in Lagos camp they have a tenor and an alto, a couple of trumpets and loads of drums. I got someone to bring my own sax and I would advise you take yours with you or at least your mouth piece and some reeds for hygienic reasons. What's a PCM?

      Delete
  9. Aww memories! I was in camp band when I served. I played the tenor drum.

    ReplyDelete